Suzuki Liana missing, jerking & engine power (pick) problems have been lately reported by some Suzuki Liana owners. These issues are also coupled with low engine performance or hesitation during acceleration. These issues are generally being faced by relatively older models i.e five years or older and cars with higher mileage i.e 100k+ on the odometer. In this article I’ll try to draw attention of readers and Suzuki Liana owners towards certain most critical aspects of maintenance that would help resolve issues like missing, jerking & engine power (pick) problem.
It is hoped that information would be helpful for you. If you like it, please hit the “LIKE” button below, and share on your social network as a supportive gesture. Registration with my website will be my appreciation. Your feedback through comments will definitely help me in improving and presenting more blogs on Suzuki Liana.
So let’s start the discussion:-
Universal OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Scanner
Refreshing the Basics
We all know that as the machines get old, effects of wear and tear become pronounced and the performance of machine deteriorates over the passage of time, however, these adverse effects can only be delayed if the machines are maintained as per the defined maintenance schedules. Three aspects need to be monitored for prolonged trouble free drive of automobiles:-
- Timely preventive maintenance.
- Quality of maintenance to be performed by qualified / expert mechanics.
- Quality of parts being used for maintenance.
Possible Causes Of Missing, Jerking & Engine Power (Pick) Problem
There could be multiple possibilities that can lead to missing, jerking & engine power (pick) problems. Broadly we can categories them as:-
I’ll briefly cover each category one by one.
Full HD 1080P Driving Recorder Starlight Night Vision
Isolating Problematic Fuel Supply System
In most of the countries in addition to the basic gasoline (petrol) fuel, alternate fuels are also being used in cars such as:-
- LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) or
- CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) etc.
Before proceeding with corrective maintenance, it must be identified which fuel source is problematic. If the problem is observed on both fuel systems then the equation is entirely different from the other scenario. In most of the cases the problem goes unnoticed in petrol (gasoline) mode due to better combustion and engine power., however pronounces when the car operates on alternate fuel (LPG or CNG). In such a case the operator thinks that the problem is with the alternate fuel only, whereas, in reality, the problem is common for both fuel sources.
Therefore I’ll first discuss the scenario where missing, jerking & engine power (pick) problems are observed in both fuel modes.
Electrical System Checks
Before replacing any part, the electrical system must be thoroughly checked for any abnormality. Also ensure that all the sensors are working perfectly fine, the symptoms of sensor failures are mentioned here. Other than that, there could be number of issues that can lead to the mentioned symptoms of engine missing, jerking & engine power (pick) problems. Following areas of electrical system must be checked:-
- Battery terminals must be tightly clamped.
- Bonding wires attached to the car body must be firmly attached.
- Loose fuses, connectors or relay grips. Also check salt deposits on terminals, connectors especially in high humidity / coastal locations.
- Serviceability check of High-Tension (HT) leads, usually known as Spark-Plug wires must be ensured.
- Serviceability check of Ignition Coils must be confirmed through resistance check. Weak engine coils or old HT leads often result in poor initial pick especially when moving from stop position in first gear.
Ignition Coil For Suzuki Liana Aerio 1.3 1.6
Engine Component Malfunction Checks
All engine components are interlinked to give an efficient engine performance. Components perform actions as per the designed roles, however in the event of malfunction, the engine output becomes unsatisfactory. To identify the faulty component, step by step trouble shooting is essential. Minor maintenance should be done first and then if the problem persists, relatively deeper maintenance needs to be carried out which would require expertise and special tools/testers for fault isolation. In order to address missing, jerking & engine power (pick) problems, following steps may be taken in the sequence mentioned, so that exact cause could be determined leading to only mandatory expenditure. The fault isolation actions are as follows:-
- Check Throttle body for carbon deposits. Contaminated throttle body may results in bad engine performance including missing, jerking & engine power (pick) problems etc.
- If idle RPM are also observed to be unstable then Idle Air Control (IAC) valve may be checked for serviceability. IAC valve also get dirty restricting the free movement of the valve, hence should be cleaned periodically.
- With the passage of time, EGR (Exhaust Gas Regulator) gets blocked due to carbon deposits. Blocked EGR may also result in missing, jerking & engine power (pick) problem.
- Poor performance of Lambda sensor (O2 Sensor) due to carbon deposits, may also contribute towards missing, jerking & engine power (pick) problem. Hesitation during acceleration could also be a symptom of faulty Lambda sensor. Lambda sensor can also be cleaned with the help of Carburetor cleaner and can be reused.
- Catalytic convertor is installed in exhaust pipe to convert the toxic burnt gases into environment friendly gases before sending it to atmosphere. If the catalytic converter gets contaminated it causes missing, jerking & engine power (pick) problem.
- If correct oil grade is not used as per the atmospheric temperatures, loss of engine power may be experienced.
- In case engine tappets are not adjusted properly that will result in hard engine rotation and may result in loss of engine power.
- Worn out piston rings will not generating enough compression resulting in loss of engine power along with other multiple issues. Engine (piston rings) condition can be verified through compression test.
- Engine pick will also be affected if the engine is running hot due to bad engine cooling system. Serviceability of thermostat valve and blockade in radiator may also be checked.
Solar Power Car Auto Air Vent Cool Fan
Alternate Fuel Checks (CNG/LPG)
If issues of missing, jerking & engine power (pick) problems are confirmed to be with alternate fuel (CNG/LPG) only, then following checks must be carried out:-
- Make sure that there are no gas leaks, starting from cylinder till injector outlet pipes going to the intake manifold. Leakages can be checked with the help of soapy water on pressure lines / connecting points. Location of Landi Renzo Omegas CNG/LPG Kit components, installed on Suzuki Liana, can be seen in this video.
- Check earth-wire coming from the CNG kit is intact and is not loose, if there are any joints preferably re-solder them.
- Remove the solenoid (black round thing with wire) from the ‘CNG regulator’ and clean the rust /contaminants present on the solenoid with the help of carby cleaner or sand paper. Refer to video for location and removal procedure of Solenoid.
- Carefully check the wire going from positive terminal of the battery to the solenoid valve. Re-solder joints if any, remove the FUSE installed on Positive (+ve) wire and clean its terminals. Also spray-clean the fuse receptacle, and make sure that the contact of the wire is not loose at any place that also includes all the connectors till the solenoid valve. Location of FUSE on Suzuki Liana CNG Kit can be seen in this video.
- Also clean the connectors of CNG ECU (electronic control unit) located behind the glove box under the dash board with contact-cleaner spray.
- If the problem persists, reset the CNG Kit ECU by disconnecting the connector for five minutes and then reconnecting.
- CNG filter should be replaced after 30000 kms, replace the filter if life expired.
- Calibration of CNG Kit is also recommended. Landi Renzo Omegas Kit is calibrated with the help of patent software.
- A word of caution, Never ever wash the car engine during servicing, only use compressed air under the hood. Water may short-circuit any of the sensors which will be an expensive deal thereafter.
LPG CNG gas filter for gas car